Saturday, March 27, 2010

Like a Dream


I've been writing since I was in high school. Ms. Peterson, my first real writing teacher in high school, bless her heart, was never satisfied with what I wrote. Always demanded more. She was a published author and I was so amazed by her. By her determination and willingness to sacrifice for us.

For the past few years I've been writing. Mostly in big blocks of time and effort with long draughts of nothing. And then I've been posting them here. Honestly I've been doing it for myself and my family. I really didn't think anyone else was reading it. But as I've been talking to people they mention something I wrote that touched them, made them laugh, made them cry or maybe appreciate something they hadn't thought about in a while. I was, and still am, amazed that anyone reads this stuff.

But, I decided to do something for myself and my family - mostly grand kids and those who would come after. Something a bit selfish. I decided to publish the things I had written into an actual, printed and bound book. So today I finished the book. It's been reviewed, edited, designed and uploaded to the publisher. I should be getting a hard copy in a week or so. It may be the only copy sold, but I'm excited to put in on my shelf.

Once I approve the hard copy it will be available to purchase. I would be honored if some of you liked my writing enough to purchase it. This whole thing is like a dream. Starting with Ms. Peterson and ending with my own book. It's not as cool as having a publishing company sweep me off my feet and pay me big money. But this will do.

Thank you to all of you who kept pushing me to write. Thank you to all of your comments and compliments. Thank you to all of you who thought this was a good idea. And thank you to all of you who think this is foolish and have kept your thoughts to yourself. It means a lot.

5 comments:

  1. You are the coolest person in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put me down for a copy! Hey, do you need someone to give you a good deal on printing soft bound copies? I've got a close connection:)
    --Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Russ! I am so happy for you, this whole book thing is pretty dang cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! I am so excited! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete